Sunday 28 March 2010

Chorlton's Big Green Festival


I spent a good few hours yesterday enjoying the return of the Big Green Festival at St Clement's Church. This year's event seemed to be slightly bigger and better attended than the first year and everyone seemed to be having a great time. The festival aims to promote environmental issues in a fun and friendly environment.

I spent the first hour or so collecting Village Green applications for Chorlton Meadows and trying to promote the Village Green application. It was great to get a chance to talk to people about the Meadows and keep them updated about the campaign. After that I spent a couple hours just wandering around and soaking up the atmosphere with my colleagues Cllr Paul Ankers and John Leech MP . I bought a bird box made from sustainable sources to help protect our sparrow population. I made my eco-confession! and I promised to become meat free one day a week. It was great to get a chance to talk to some architecture students about the proposed Chorlton Community Centre. The designs were brilliant and I really look forward to helping to get the centre built. I also really enjoyed the scarecrow competition and sampling some of the delicious Vegan food.

The Green festival is an excellent local event. It shows how important and feasible it is to live sustainably in Chorlton. Environmental issues are very important and need attention. The festival was able to make these issues relevant to everyone in a fun and friendly way. I would like to thank the organisers for pulling off such an excellent event.

No comments:

Post a Comment